9.17.2013

His Story

It has already been over a month since Brig left. We've been in almost daily contact with him, which is so wonderful! We've each received two letters from Brig and one package. In the package were three "artifacts" or souvenirs from Honduras. Along with the artifacts was a story.

Here is the story in full:
     It was a dark and stormy night and I was only kept dry from the pitter patter of rain by staying inside the mouth of the cave. I had a small fire that gave me a little light and kept me warm.
     A bolt of lightning split the sky and I looked out the cave. My heart jumped into my throat for out on the sea was la bandera pirata. I knew that meant the pirates had come to the island for the same reason... to seek la pulsera of the fair maiden.
     The pirates would land sometime that evening or possibly if they didn't think I had beat them to the island they would wait until dawn. Either way I had to act quick in order to stop them and continue to search for the fair maiden.
     I slipped out of the cave and into the rain. Although it is dangerous to be out of bed at might in Honduras I knew I needed to find him. Down on the beach with a little moonlight splitting the clouds I saw him - la tortuga roja. I approached cautiously and greeted him with reverence.
     "Oh mighty tortuga roja, I need your help. The pirates are coming to steal la pulsera from the fair maiden; see, yonder la bandera pirata."
     La tortuga roja is a snapping tortuga and would probably snap off the peg legs of the pirates and nibble on their bandera pirata.
     Off I flew, through the jungle, past the monkeys, past my cave. I knew where to find the fair maiden, she loved the warm pools of crystal clear water. This was the only place she would take off la pulsera, which meant the pirates would try and take it from her there.
     I finally reached the rocks around the warm pool in the first light of morning. There was the beautiful and fair maiden. She was the most beautiful lady on the entire island. She had short blonde hair, beautiful deep green eyes, soft dark skin, and looked really good in tie-dye. There she was in the warm pool without her pulsera.
     I looked back toward the beach and there upon the shore was la bandera pirata. La tortuga roja was outnumbered and he couldn't snap fast enough. Some of the pirates got away and started toward the warm pools. I had to act.
     I jumped out and warned the fair maiden that the pirates were after her pulsera. She looked over my shoulder toward the beach and saw la bandera pirata making its way through the jungle towards us.
     She trusted me and took me to a secret passage way. She pushed a button and a rock lept aside exposing a tunnel with a slide in it. The fair maiden jumped in and I right behind, but as I jumped, I saw la bandera pirata and the band of pirates coming over the rocks of the warm pool. As I slid down the slide in the tunnel I heard the rock slam shut. In what only took a few seconds I soon found myself flying out of the tunnel and onto the sand. We were on the beach!
     I looked around and saw the fair maiden talking with La tortuga roja. She bent down and kissed him. Near them was one little pirate boy with bright blonde hair and a great smile and a little bandera pirata. 
     The fair maiden took off la pulsera and used the rope to tie a harness to la tortuga roja. She smiled kindly at me and said, "Thank you." Then she blew me a kiss. It warmed my heart.
      She waved to the little pirate boy who looked on and then he ran to her and she hugged him. All three of them sailed off from the island, the fair maiden with her pulsera, the little pirate boy with la bandera pirata riding on la tortuga roja into the sunset.
     I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be with them right now, but I didn't go with them. Someone had to stay behind and defend the people of Honduras. So, until someone else comes that will be me.
With love, Dad

P.S. Mommy's artifact is la pulsera
Andy's artifact is la bandera pirata
Ezra's artifact is la tortuga roja

 I almost started crying when I read it to Andy. The last paragraph always gets me. And my self-esteem was definitely boosted being called a beautiful and fair maiden. :) I was not expecting to receive hand-written letters from Brig, or packages, so I have really enjoyed it!

No comments: