Этот блогпост касается того, что я сделал первую неделю в Украине.
For those of you that don't speak Russian don't worry about it, it isn't very important. If you really want to know what is written there ask Chelsea.
I took this picture the other day. It is the reason the Ukrainian flag is the color blue over yellow. It symbolizes the blue sky over the yellow fields of sunflowers. The Ukrainians love sunflowers and everything you eat has at least some sunflower oil in it. It is a little intense on the stomach after such a long spurt not having it. But alas, all passes.

So, first of all when I got to Ukraine I was slightly gross for having traveled multiple days with out much of a stop. I tried to get right into a daily schedule to overcome any jetlag. It seems to have worked
..........ddddddddddddddddddd..................
Sorry. Just zoned out for a second.
Here is a picture of my room in the flat that I am staying in as well as a picture of the soccer game we went and saw. And yes Dinamo Kiev won 3-0 against a Belgium team.
Here in Ukraine there are tons of museums and statues about all sorts of things, so since most of you haven't had the chance of making it to Ukraine, I will show you a few pics of what it looks like here.
These first ones are from the museum dedicated to Chernobyl. It was a very sobering experience and there is a feeling in the museum that is hard to pass along, but I hope you can catch a little bit from these pics.
This next picture is made out of words like: hate, run, blast, etc. So there are two pictures one from far away and then one up close.
Here are some pictures of the things one sees around Kiev. Of course one of the most common things is the Russian & Ukrainian Orthodox Churches.
Enjoy a little bit of Kiev.
In my opinion it is a mix between other Western European cities with a distinct feel of Communism, namely the communistic architecture and style.
Enjoy a little bit of Kiev.
In my opinion it is a mix between other Western European cities with a distinct feel of Communism, namely the communistic architecture and style.
When I saw this monument it was a very touching moment. It is dedicated to the forced starvation of thousands of Ukrainians during Stalin's reign. Notice the grain is behind bars. This symbolizes Stalin's collection and hording of all crops, which in turn forced thousands to die of hunger.
The last set of pictures is from a museum near Pervomaysk dedicated to nuclear weapons. It was an old missle site and we got to see all sorts of parts of the nuclear missiles, hear cool stories, interesting facts (like the USSR had enough fire power to destroy the US 8 times over), and even got to go down in the old missile silos.
The first missile shown has the name of "Satan" and was supposed to go around the southern hemisphere and then hit the US when they weren't expecting it.
The first missile shown has the name of "Satan" and was supposed to go around the southern hemisphere and then hit the US when they weren't expecting it.
Really though the best part of the trip, even though I don't have any pictures of it was the restaurant which we stopped at on the way back home. Mmm mmm good!
2 comments:
This blog post relates to what I've done the first week in Ukraine. We heart Google Translate, no? :)
Thanks for the translation,Mindy! And that last photo of this post is pure Brigham, through and through! I see a bit of my future grandson in that picture!
Post a Comment