1.22.2013

Traveling with a Toddler

I'm sharing a few tips that I have discovered as we have traveled with our kids so far.

The first is: Travel with another adult if at all possible

I though I was going to have to make this journey on my own, but thankfully Brig's deployment was cancelled a week before he was supposed to leave so he got to come with us to UT for Christmas. Having another pair of "adult" hands is so convenient. I know it's possible to travel without another adult, but I was extremely grateful that Brig was there.
Riding the train at SEATAC
My second tip for traveling with a toddler would be to take the car seat. It's worth the hassle of dragging it through the airport to be able to strap your toddler in on the plane. He didn't even complain about it! It was fantastic!

Brig rigged the car seat up on the stroller so it wasn't too bad, but I know there are things out there called "car seat travelmates." It's basically a car seat on wheels. We didn't have one of those so we improvised and Andy just walked. 
Ezra rode in the Phil n' Teds
We got a Phil n Teds double stroller when Ezra was born and I love it. They are a bit more pricey than some doubles, but we got ours for a great deal and it has been wonderful to me so far. We had Ezra in the back of the stroller for most of the time, but we took our front carrier as well so we could carry him easily if needed.

My last tip I'm sharing today is to take advantage of the airport facilities. We had a layover in Seattle and they have a great child play area with a bathroom and even a room for nursing mothers (which I used). We've used the play room in the Anchorage airport as well before, so find out what's available in the airports you'll be traveling through.

And I'm sure I could come up with more tips, but that's all I've got today.

No comments: