I figured a good starting point would be to join in the "Military Monday" series that 5 Nuts in a Nutshell has going on. It'll be a great way to document my experience so far, and what I have coming in the future.
Topic of the day: The story of how we joined the military.
The actual decision of joining the military was already taken care of by the time my husband and I even started dating. He was participating in the Air Force ROTC at Utah State University and loving it. He even had a scholarship. (That was definitely a bonus when I married him. We only had to pay for me.)
So, the big decision I had to make was not if I would let him join, but if I could be a military spouse.
Obviously I decided that I could. :)
And I have loved that decision. The military has been very good to us. Yes, there are crazy loops you have to jump through now and then, but overall we feel so blessed to be a part of such a wonderful tradition.
Some probably want to know why Brigham even decided to serve in the military. His underlying reason is family. He believes that as he serves in the military of our country he is serving those that believe in family. He wants to make it possible for people to have the freedom to be with their family. He wants to protect the family.
You can't really argue with that.
Knowing the reason(s) behind why he joined up definitely made it easier for me to accept and support him.
And that is KEY. If you are going to marry someone in the military, they need 101% of your support. Plus more. Having a nagging spouse who always complains about the military and the time commitment it occasions is not helpful.
I've come across this "recipe" several times and absolutely love it.
Recipe for a Military Spouse
1 1/2 cups Patience
1 lb. Adaptability
3/4 cup Tolerance
1 tsp. Courage
A Dash of Adventure
Combine above ingredients: Add 2 tablespoons elbow grease. Let sit alone for one year. Marinate frequently with salty tears. Pour off excess fat. Sprinkle lightly with money. "Knead" dough until payday. Season with international spices. Bake 20 years or until done....
1 1/2 cups Patience
1 lb. Adaptability
3/4 cup Tolerance
1 tsp. Courage
A Dash of Adventure
Combine above ingredients: Add 2 tablespoons elbow grease. Let sit alone for one year. Marinate frequently with salty tears. Pour off excess fat. Sprinkle lightly with money. "Knead" dough until payday. Season with international spices. Bake 20 years or until done....
As of now we aren't quite sure how long our baking period will be... but I hope we don't come out gooey or stay in until we are blackened. :)
For memory's sake of our good 'ole ROTC days, here's a photo of us on Veteran's Day with an amazing veteran (who turned out to be the grandfather of a really good friend of ours... small world). Brig was asked to speak at the Veteran's Day celebration on campus. So proud of him and the people he represents.


5 comments:
Love it! We are currently at Utah State too, and my hubby LOVES the ROTC program!
You're right, it does take a certain type of woman to embrace the Military lifestyle, and growing up I thought I would NEVER be one of those women... but now I know that I have hidden strengths I never knew about and I like the woman I have become so much more than before! The military has made me a better person.
Thanks for joining in, I can't wait for next week!
That was cool to learn more about your current situation and how it all came to be. I WAS kinda wondering actually, so you read my mind! I'm glad you guys are happy and enjoying life! I love hearing all about it through blogging!
Since our current ward takes in Camp Pendleton I have gained an all new perspective and respect for military families and military wives. My current visiting teachee has had a baby during her husband's deployment - and he's going to be gone for another 2-3 months! I would crumble without Nick's help with the kids. This is why some people (you, my VT lady, etc.) are up for the military spouse thing, and some people (me) just can't cut it! Thanks for sharing about your experience so far. I'm looking forward to more Military Mondays!
Thanks for sharing Chelsea - what a strong and courageous little family you are. :)
Rex and Edna were my neighbors growing up! I love them so much! Rex was my home teacher and as a kid I loved to listen to his incredible stories. Thank you guys for serving our country! Protecting the family is definitely a worthy cause.
Post a Comment