9.04.2011

The Homer Spit

The weekend after we got home from Utah we went down to the Homer Spit with some of the other officer's from Brig's squadron. The purpose of the trip was to catch some Halibut.

We ventured down and with each stop we would remind each other that it was the farthest south we had been in AK so far. The drive was gorgeous!

This Harley Davidson sign made us think of my dad. It was outside of one of the restaurants we stopped at.


The plan was to camp on the spit in Homer. The spit is a narrow 4-mile strip of land that juts out into the bay. It's pretty sweet. The campground we camped at was basically for RV's with a few spots for tent campers on the rocky beach. We set up our little tent, but we put our gear in there and actually ended up sleeping in the back of our Subaru.




It was a rough night.

Andy doesn't usually do well unless he is in a crib of some kind. And we couldn't really set up his pack n' play in the back of the Sube. We have learned our lesson and recently purchased a larger than 2-man tent so we can use that next time. :)

Early the next morning everyone left to go get on the charter for the fishing trip. Andy and I stayed behind, because I didn't know what the rules were for little children and such. We just chilled on the shore.


I actually got to see some Orca as I was sitting there enjoying the view. I was too slow to get my camera for a picture. :(

Unfortunately, while on the charter Brig got a little sea-sick. Right after he caught his first halibut he puked about 7 times. Then he caught another fish and then fell asleep. He said it was pretty rough, but that he really enjoyed it.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that although he was sick he still had a good time.

2 comments:

Kara Jarvis said...

Oh man. When I was in high school sometime, we went to visit my grandma off the coast of Washington and while we were there, we went on a charter boat for fish too. I got SO sick but I was too stubborn to puke. Apparently if you throw up, you will feel better so I bet Brig probably felt better than me. Ugh. Worst feeling ever! Has has my pity. :(

Shirlene said...

Nothing about Brig surprises us anymore:)