2.10.2009

Single's Awareness Day

I thought this was perfect for the upcoming holiday

Love is in the air, and for the second time in a row I have a Valentine for Valentine's Day. Well, I hope he'll be my Valentine. I haven't officially asked him yet. *Cross your fingers*

Valentine's Day is also known as SINGLE'S AWARENESS DAY, because it is the holiday were if you don't have a significant other....it is slightly obvious. You also have this strange horrible lonely feeling. Well, that is if you don't take the Anti Valentine's Day perspective. Then you would have animosity and hatred toward all things pink, red, and frilly.

Valentine's Day has never really held any substance for me. The only reason I liked it as a youngster was because I got to make Valentines for all my friends. About 5th grade things went down hill when one of my fellow students who had a crush on me decided to give me a bottle of his mother's perfume. Slightly awkward. I think I kept the Valentine he made because I knew I would look back someday (a day like today) and get a good laugh out of it.

Through Middle School it didn't get any better. As a Student Council we would sell carnations around Valentine's Day so people could send flowers to people. I sent one to myself...hehe. But then I got another one, plus a large heart shaped balloon, a stuffed animal that was a dog holding a heart in its mouth, and yeah...I had to take that home with me on the bus. Then another year I got this bear dressed up as a groom from this other guy. He actually delivered it to my house. Once I got out of Middle School the gift giving died down, unless my friends and I gave funny little Valentines to each other.

After High School the only time I can remember giving a Valentine outside of my family was to 4 guys from my Singles Ward. Brad and Sean Anderson, Landon Stoker, and Bryce Jensen. They were my best friends at the time. On February 14th that year, the Herald Journal had the front page be a Valentine that you could cut out. Naturally, I cut it out and wrote an awesome poem on it to all four of those guys. It started out something like...
Landon, Bryce, Brad and Sean
All four of you are Oh, so strong
Not just in physique but spirit too
You're stripling warriors in all you do
I don't remember how it ended, but there was something in there about them being Big Hunks, because I gave each of them a Big Hunk candy bar. Yum! It was pretty awesome. They posted the Valentine on their wall which made me feel pretty cool. Anyway....

Now, as I sit here contemplating what to get Brig for Valentine's Day (probably some flowers and a Big Hunk) I am caught up in thought about what I would want to receive from an actual Valentine, a true blue through and through Valentine. Flowers? Jewelry? What about chocolate? These are definitely the staple gifts of V-day, but the only flower Brig has ever given me was one he drew on a piece of lined paper.

Out of the 3 staples, chocolate usually is my pick, because it's good and I like to eat it. However, last year Brig gave me a Willow Tree figurine entitled "Love." It was such a perfect gift because I love Willow Tree.



Although I would enjoy any of the V-day staples, and pretty much anything from Brig, I've been thinking about this one. Instead of flowers, jewelry, or chocolate I would rather get something like this:


Telemark Skis and Boots. Oh, it would be wonderful. I have been learning how to tele ski this year and I LOVE it! I don't have any of my own gear so I have been borrowing the ski school director's stuff.

If I don't get them for Valentine's Day....maybe I'll just have to wait until Christmas next year!

5 comments:

Bradley J said...

Pollo! I just wanted to say thank you again for the valentine. It was AWESOME! I am happy everytime I read your blog and see how happy you are! I also love all the fun memories:) Thanks for letting me be apart of your life and learn so much for your awesome example! Love ya both

Erica said...

So Chelsea, as I was reading this post it brought back many memories. Those dang carnations in middle school brought me much heartache. And I vaguely remember you telling me that perfume story and it's driving me crazy I have a few guesses as to who it was...can you remind me?

{haley} said...

After two years of observing Singles Awareness Day, I would like to wish you and your hubby Happy Valentine's Day!

Erica said...

That is who I thought it was!!! That's even what I told Daren(Eathon is actually the one who semi introduced me and Daren...)

Heather said...

I love the hadn drawn flower!! I'm sure itlasted longer than the real ones would have. I think that I would have to go for the chocolate as well!