My in-laws have been helping with a race known as "The Bear 100" for many, many years. I don't recall exactly how many, but it's been around 17 years. One of my father-in-laws friends is the creator of the race so naturally they've been involved.
I've had several opportunities to go and help out at aid stations over the years since I've been in the Moore family. It is always a treat.
The past 2 years my father-in-law has actually been in charge of all the aid stations. Talk about a feat. And all of this is volunteer.
Since we are currently local, Andy and I joined in the fun this year and helped out at Aid Station #3 at Richard's Hollow up Blacksmith Fork Canyon. It was cold, but not too cold. We were bundled up pretty good and Andy only needed to warm up in the car twice.
Since it was aid station #3 the time frame was approx. 10am-2pm. I was very grateful we had a morning/day shift. Especially with how cold it was for us. Turns out we had it even better than I thought. Since we were down in the hollow we didn't get the terrible snow storm they had up on top at Cowley Canyon and at other stations.
Andy loved being there, especially because cousins Tanner and Amber were there.
Aspen also joined us and she was the pop director. She made sure there were always full cups of pop for the runners if they wanted it.
My mother-in-law always out does herself with her aid station. The spread is always glorious to behold and the runners never cease to thank her.
We had red and green grapes, pretzels, gold fish, strawberries, bananas, granola bars, candy, homemade zucchini bread, warm potatoes, pop, water, heed, hot chocolate, peaches, chips, etc. etc. etc.
Andy was either drinking the heed (which is an electrolyte drink for runners) or snacking on the goodies. He also got some football time in with Uncle Brandon and the kids.
And probably one of the first things Andy did when he got out of the car was find himself a stick. You never know when the pirates might attack.
At one point he grabbed Uncle Brandon's hand and had him go on a walk after the others that had gone down the road for a bit. It melted my heart a little bit.
I've said it before, and I'm going to say it again, I am extremely grateful to be close to family right now. Spending time with all of them brings joy to my soul.
No comments:
Post a Comment