4.04.2011

Walk Don't Run

Well, we are back up in AK, and have been since late Friday night.

Our weekend was wonderful and we are back to "normal" life with the Air Force.

A little update is that Brig's deployment was deleted from the system, so he will not be deploying yesterday. :)

There is a very high deployment tempo for civil engineers right now so even though he isn't going now.... he's going to go. We just don't know when.

Could be the end of April, or sometime in the summer, or fall, or next week.

But moving on... I wanted to tell about our crazy trip back up here.

Our itinerary was to fly from Montgomery to Memphis and then from Memphis to Minneapolis and then finally to Anchorage. Originally we had an hour layover in Memphis and a 30 minute layover in Minneapolis, however... our Montgomery flight was delayed 30 minutes and then we didn't even leave until 30 minutes after that.

So, we had less than 10 minutes to run the length of the Memphis airport to catch our flight to Minneapolis.

Now, to the title.

Besides it being one of my favorite Cary Grant movies... it is what I had to do.

Ever tried running with an infant? Doesn't really work unless you want to scramble their brains and everything else inside them.

So, I practiced my speed walking capabilities.

And I made it! (Obviously.)

As soon as I got off the air plane I started walking as fast as my legs could carry me, the diaper bag and Andy. Brig had to wait for our carry-on that was gate checked.

I got to the gate just as Brig was running up behind me and then we waltzed onto the plane. There were actually a bunch of people that had to run to catch that flight. Like 20 or so. It was awesome cause we were all sitting by each other so there was a huge section of the passengers missing until we all showed up.

Because of our late arrival to Memphis, we took off late to get to Minneapolis. Remember how we only had a 30 minute layover in Minneapolis to begin with? Well, it ended up getting down to 10 minutes again before our next plane took off.

BUT.... our next gate was only 3 away. Hallelujah! I was thinking we had to run the length of the airport again, and this one was bigger.

Our seats were changed on this flight so we were the first row behind first class. We were sitting in row 10, so as I glanced up at the last row of first class it said 5 so I kept going. When I looked up I was already at 15? It went from row 5 to row 10. How stupid of me to assume that it would continue on with row 6.

As I tried to return to row 10 I almost tipped over right in the aisle and some guy had to grab my elbow to keep me from face planting. :) I actually had to go back to row 15 to put our luggage in the over-head bins.

We sat by this really nice lady from Bolivia who spoke only Spanish. She was adorable. And she thought Andy was adorable. After I returned to our seats she was already holding Andy.

For those that don't know how flights work in Alaska.... the red-eye flights are the most popular and are almost the only flights that you can take to get our of Anchorage. I swear it's their busiest time at the Anchorage airport.

So, instead of sleeping on our 5 hour flight Brig and I watched "Tangled" and "Voyage of the Dawn Treader." It was great. I love the flights when you get to choose the movies you watch.

And for those that want to know how Andy did traveling... he was fantastic and slept for most of it. And I didn't even drug him :)

P.S. If your luggage doesn't make the 10 minute transfer you barely made, and one of your items is an infant car seat... don't stress because the airports have rentals! We got a nice feminine one for Andy.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Wow! So funny that we had the same experience. Sounds so much harder to do it with a baby, but I'm sure your speed-walking skills are excellent! Glad you made it!