There is a celebration up here in Anchorage known as Fur Rondy. It is awesome.
(I posted about it last year.)
Unfortunately, Brig wasn't able to participate in the activities this year because he was in Korea. But, we made it out to the ceremonial start of the Iditarod again. Last year we watched the team from Campbell Creek Airstrip, but this year we went downtown to the very beginning. The boys and I went with the Atkinson crew.
 |
| There were photographers lining the entire first stretch of the race. |
 |
| Jed, Andy, Oliver, & Jake |
 |
| Chelsea, Ezra, Penelope, & Julie |
Jed was nice enough to be my step in husband and take care of Andy for me. Andy rode on Jed's shoulders for most of the downtown part.
We found a great spot where we could watch several of the teams go by. Andy was already starting to get tired. He just wanted to sit down. Here's a family shot that we got.
After watching the dog teams for awhile we ventured to the snow sculptures that were down by the train station. They were awesome! Oliver and Andy were more interested in a guy blowing gigantic bubbles, but they still thought the sculptures were neat. Here are some of our favorites.
 |
| Some classic Star Wars |
 |
| The old Bull & Chain |
 |
| King Kong |
 |
| This was my all time favorite snow sculpture. The detail was incredible. |
Just across the street from the snow sculpture competition was the Ulu Factory, and they were giving out free hot chocolate. We thought that would be the perfect way to end our adventure.
Oliver and Andy found a dog sled to practice on.
 |
| Prepping for the Iditarod |
Jed had to leave for work before we got to the snow sculptures so Jake was in charge of chasing the boys while Julie and I waiting in line for the drinks.
It had taken quite a bit of persuasion to get Andy to keep walking all the way to the snow sculptures, and I was pretty sure there was no way we were going to make it back to the cars without something terrible happening (i.e. a meltdown).
Thankfully, there was a free shuttle driving around! And it was heated. We had to strip our coats off cause we were getting sweaty. The shuttle dropped us off just a few blocks from where we parked. I was counting my blessings.
I am really going to miss participating in these fun events next year after we move!
1 comment:
That is so fun that you get to do all these things in Alaska. I think I would enjoy living in Alaska. Don't worry though, you will find fun things in your new place, too!
Post a Comment