Day 6: Going to a movie on Christmas... in our matching pj's.
I figured that after Day 5 being all about our sweet matching pj's, this tradition would be the perfect follow-up.
It has been a tradition in my family that we all go to a movie on Christmas during the afternoon once things have wound down a bit. And this tradition only got better when it became an unspoken mandatory rule that we all had to wear our pj's to the movie. And so our family, parents included, would all pile in the cars and make the trek to the theater.
The summer after I graduated from high school I started working at the local movie theater and as Christmas approached I was talking about how my family came to the movies all matchy-matchy in our pj's when one of my co-workers gasped, "That's YOUR family! I remember you guys! SOO funny!"
I felt like a celebrity for a moment.
I think one of my favorite years so far was the year we had our Longhorn pj's.
Just imagine all of us going to the movie's together, sans Barkley (for obvious reasons) and Chase (he was on his mission).
It was so great when we all walked into the theater and sat down. The guy in front of us said, "Can't guess where you guys are from..." And we all just laughed and said that we weren't from Texas, but that we have a deep and abiding love for the Longhorns.
We watched "Marley and Me" that year and the only one that wasn't bawling their eyes out and wiping a runny nose was Brigham. He's a rock when it comes to crying, and we are soft squishy potatoes. He did say that he teared up a bit though. :)
Last year we didn't participate in this tradition... which made my younger sister pretty sad. But I had just had a baby 2 weeks prior and I wasn't about to leave him for 2 hours, let alone bring him to the theater. So... ya. We failed. But just because you missed one year doesn't mean it's not a tradition, right?
I've got big plans for this years movie in pj's tradition, which will be taking place at home since it's Sunday. Woot!

1 comment:
We find one of the few places open and go to dinner on Christmas {it's like on A Christmas Story}. It's going to be passed this reason too for the Sunday reason. Doh. P.s. I am reading double traditions here with your blog and Neecole's. :)
Post a Comment