12.14.2011

On the 10th Day of Christmas...

Day 10: The First Gift of Christmas

Over the past couple months I've been trying to figure out ways to focus more on Christ during the Christmas season. One thought I had was to give a gift to Jesus each year.

I hadn't thought super deep about it. Maybe we would just write down what we wanted to give him and then put it on the tree.

Well, a couple weeks back I saw a similar idea spotlighted on a blog, but the presentation was much better than anything I could have come up with. I loved the idea of giving a gift to Jesus as the FIRST Gift of Christmas before everyone goes to see the tree and stockings from Santa.

You can read the post here.

I made my own box that we can use, and Christmas morning it will be on the landing of our stairs.

We'll "meet" there, sing a song, and then say family prayer. Then on pieces of paper we'll write down something that we want to give to Jesus this next year. It could be giving something up, improving a talent, a commitment to be better at something... anything really.

Obviously we'll be helping our children as they are young, and hopefully as they get older this will be something they look forward to with anticipation.

In the post where I found this idea she mentioned that they read gifts from years past, and that they don't read that years gifts until the following Christmas. I loved the idea of reading past gifts, but I don't know if I could stand to wait a whole year to find out what was written... we'll see. It may make this moment just that more exciting and special.

1 comment:

Janalee said...

In relief society this last week we talked about traditions and one lady said her family has a gift they open last after everyone has opened presents. IN the present it is the story of Christs birth from Luke, on different sheets of paper. Each person takes one out and reads it and it brings the kids mind back to what they are reall celebrating. Kinda keeps the kids grounded for a minute. Brings the moment back to christ and not themselves.

I liked that, I thought hmmm. I am so doing that!!