12.07.2011

On the 3rd Day of Christmas...

Day 3: Advent Calendars

There is something very satisfying about ticking off days in a countdown. I have always been a fan of Advent Calendars.

This year we have two countdowns going. One is this stellar "Songs of Christmas" Advent that my mom sent Andy. I have it up on our fridge and each day we get to sing a Christmas Carol. Well... maybe not every day, because number 5 was just a picture of an ornament... I should have made one up.

The other countdown we are doing is from this book that Brig's older sister Kim put together for all the families a couple years ago.

Each day has a scripture about Jesus, a carol to sing, and then a story. So far it has been fun, and it's a great way to wind down the evening. I was reading a story the other day and couldn't make it through because I started bawling. Brig had to finish it up for me. I'm so pathetic sometimes. :)

And I had aspirations to make something like this Good Deed Advent... but Andy isn't quite old enough to make it worth it. I'm planning on doing something similar next year.

I think instead of doing the hanging buckets from the Good Deed Advent, I'm going to finally get around to making a tuna can Christmas tree. Each tuna can represents one day. There are 25 in all. You just put what you want in each can and then cover it up with paper or cellophane... or whatever your heart desires really.

My good friend Lindsie showed me this idea and I loved it, but I just haven't gotten around to making it yet. I think when I finally do make it I'm going to spray paint the top can yellow for a star and make it the last can.

We only have 2 weeks 4 days until Christmas! And that means only 4 days till Andy is one! Crazy. Which reminds me... he decided he wanted to work on walking last night while Brig was in class. Took about 4 steps all at once. We'll have a walker on our hands before we know it!


1 comment:

Burke and Emily Adams said...

We have a advent book with stories, scriptures and carols too that someone gave us as a wedding gift. We love it! Thanks for sharing all these great traditions. I read Burke the one about cows (his father has about 150 head of cattle on the farm) and he got a good laugh. What a clever and sweet husband you have to do that for your parents!