Today's theme is about how to help your military member pass their PT test.
Thankfully, this has never really been a problem or issue that I've had to deal with. Especially because right now they are cutting back forces in the Air Force. If Brig was unable to pass a PT test he would most likely get kicked out of the Air Force.
Even though I believe that I'm married to a psycho push-up and sit-up machine, there are definitely things that I can do to support and encourage Brig in his journey to be "Fit for Life." (<---that is the Air Force's PT slogan)
Brig and I got married about 2 weeks into the Spring semester of 2008, and one of the classes that I signed up to take was the early morning PT class with the Air Force cadets. One thing about me is that I don't like "working out." The only way I will "work out" is if I'm playing a sport or if I am accountable to someone or for something. In this particular case, it was attendance. All I had to do was show up. Sweet. I could do that.
The class started at 6:00am, but we had to leave our apartment around 5:45am so we could be there early. Every morning I would walk in with all the cadets and take my place in the back of the group. I was put with the Bravo flight. Although a little intimidating, it turned out to be such a great experience for me. I really got to know a lot of the other cadets and how some things work in the AF and ROTC.
You don't have to do what I did, but working out with your spouse is definitely a great motivator and way to help support.
Another way that I have helped encourage Brig to pass his PT tests is by being the motivation. Up here in Brig's squadron they have a policy that if you get a 100% on your PT test you can have two free days off. Brig got those two free days! Woop, woop!
And one last thing that Brig said was encouraging to him was that I let him go do his crazy adventures and even go on some with him. He has also been riding his bike most days to work since we only have one car. That has really helped him stay active and slim down.
Cat had some great suggestions on her blog, so go check them out.
Also, Cat is putting on a Halloween Costume Contest over on her blog. All you have to do is take a picture of your home-made costume and send it to her by the 24th. I'm giving away a hat to one of the winners. So, if you're planning on making a costume this year, you should enter!

2 comments:
That is AWESOME that you got to go workout with your hubby. I would love to do that, but as tempting as it is to sneak out... I just don't think I could ditch the 3 kiddos :)
I thought this was an important thing to talk about because at least in the Army, they are kicking people out like crazy who can't pass the PT, and those who are barely cutting it are totally stressing out.
I am excited about the costume contest, I have had a few entries so far. I absolutely LOVE your turkey hat!! Too cute!!
Great posting about (PT) fitness. And really cool that you have been able to work out with your husband. Every once in a while I am teaching Crossfit to my husband's guys, or just go running with them. I'm not always sure if they enjoy it more or less than me but I am super excited about having running buddies - others than the hubby, dog or iPod :-)
Post a Comment