10.20.2011

His Daddy


Andy really is so lucky to have such an amazing dad.

It is so much fun to see how much he already loves him. (And vice versa)

On my phone I have a picture of Brig as my background and EVERY time Andy sees it, he gives my phone the slobberiest kiss he can muster. I usually have to wipe it off.

Also, our garage door is quite loud so when Andy hears the garage open and then close around 4:30ish he gets really excited and starts looking toward the stairs.

As soon as he sees his dad he squeals with delight and scoots over there as fast as he can. Once Brig picks him up he turns around to look for me and gives me this big smile that says, "Look! I'm with daddy!"

I really like the whole "parenthood" idea... and that it's not just "motherhood." I'm glad that it was God's design to give me a partner in this whole ordeal. Especially during those first few weeks.

I don't remember if I've shared this story, but it is the perfect example of how Brig saved my sanity those first couple weeks after childbirth.

The first time that it was just me and Andy... (no mom.... no husband... just me and him), I was changing his diaper. Well, being the boy that he is, as soon as that diaper was off he let loose and ended up peeing all over his face. I started bawling as I was trying to get him cleaned up, and when Brig got home he found me on the rocking chair holding Andy with tears (and snot) running down my face.

He asked me what was wrong and all I could muster was, "I let him pee on his face!"

I felt like the worst mother ever.

Any real and perfect mother would never ever let their precious new baby do that. Right?

Well, Brig came over and took Andy from me and then motioned for me to come lay my head on his lap. He then proceeded to just rub my head until I calmed down.

Looking back at that experience I have two reactions... the first, to shake my head and snigger at myself, and the second, an overwhelming sense of gratitude for a partner in crime.

It's nice to be an oxen sharing a load instead of pulling all by oneself, especially when you've got a man that you think is literally as strong as an ox. (And I mean strong in more way than one.)


Here they are doing their favorite trick: Circus Baby.

I sure love these guys.

Pictures courtesy of the amazingly talented Belinda Olsen Photography.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chels, you know that your boys are seriously the cutest? I love seeing them together like that. I always knew, from the moment I met Brigham, that the two of you were so happy together and that would make your children such happy babies! Looks like it's true.

I can tell that you are both great parents, just by the personality in Andy from his photos. Thanks for sharing your "pee" story. Love you both!

Kylee said...

These pictures are so cute! And I love that story. You three are just the cutest family!

Lauren Hedin said...

We are coming up on two weeks with our new little guy. In the middle of the night our first night home I had this exact same thing happen. Tears, snot, and all. Thank goodness for husbands! Does it make me a bad mom if each time a surprise stream lets loose my instinct is to scream and run in the opposite direction? ;)

Janalee said...

Oh I love that story, Every mom feels like a failure at one point. And it doesn't end... in fact it gets harder and more sad as they get older and say to you "your not my favorite friend right now". (that came from my sweet 3 year old child) But at the same time if you know you are trying your best, then that is all that matters!!!

Sarah said...

I love those pictures of Brigham and Andy! They are some of the sweetest pictures I have seen in a long time. I think the love of a daddy is so special--I still have a really special relationship with my dad.

Shirlene said...

There is just something so special about those two together! And YOU complete their circle of love! Remember, family IS everything!

Burke and Emily Adams said...

What a sweet post Chels. We got internet today and I've been catching up on all the blogs and I also wanted to say how impressed I am with your good attitude a couple of posts back when everything was going wrong. I need to be more positive like you!

Kara Jarvis said...

Chels, I love your family so much. I absolutely LOVE reading what you guys are up to and oh my heck, Andy is a freaking goofball. Just like his dad. You guys are so awesome!