12.14.2010

Baby Andy's Big Debut

I find it slightly ironic that I posted on Thursday about "keeping my legs crossed" and then on Friday began the process of induction.

So here is how it went down:

I had an appointment on Wednesday morning (the 8th) and because I was still measuring small they sent me to radiology for an ultrasound to get a growth scan and then to labor and delivery for a non-stress test. After all the testing they sent me home and said we would just keep my normal appointment for the following Wednesday (the 15th).

Thursday afternoon I received a call from one of my doctors saying they wanted me to come back in on Friday afternoon around 2:30 for another non-stress test to monitor the baby.

Friday morning around 8:30am I got a call from another one of my doctors saying they actually wanted me to come in as soon as I could that morning instead of waiting till 2:30.

I got there about 9:45am and didn't end up leaving until Monday evening with a baby!

After my test the doctor told me that although the baby was doing well they didn't know if that would be the case if they sent me home and let me come back 2 days later when Brig got home. For the baby's safety they thought it best that I be induced and get him there as soon as we could.

So... that is what we did.

In the instance that I went into labor before Brig returned home from his training we had some people we could call that would then get Brigham home as quick as they could.

The last week of Brig's training was at a base down in Florida, so he got to make a cross-country journey.

It was about 3:00pm Florida time when Brig found out, and he immediately left to try and catch a plane that left at 4:20pm at the Panama City Airport that was about an hour away.

It was obviously going to be a close call. We weren't sure if he was going to make the first flight, but thankfully he did.

If he hadn't made that first leg of his journey he would have missed everything... so I'm very grateful for all the prayers that got him there.

In fact, as soon as he walked on the plane they closed the door and took-off.

He landed in Memphis, TN and then from there flew to Salt Lake City, UT and then finally to Anchorage. His estimated arrival time in AK was 1:07am on the 11th.

Well, while he was traveling across the country I was just chillin' in my sweet hospital gown waiting for the process to begin. The doctor was busy with other deliveries so we didn't start the induction until around 4:00pm on Friday.

Thankfully, some of our Air Force friends came to visit and kept me company for about a good three hours.

Because I was only dilated 1cm they used something called a foley balloon to initiate the early stage of labor and help me to dilate to approximately 4cm.

Around 1:00am they started a pitocin drip and then at 2:00 am Brigham showed up!

I was so happy to see him.

I was attempting to sleep, but with contractions every 5 minutes and then the nurses coming in and making me change sides, giving me an oxygen mask, etc.... I didn't get much rest at all.

I react strongly to any type of medication so I wasn't sure if I should get the pain medication for the early stage, but by 6:00am I was so tired and uncomfortable that I finally gave in.

It was bliss.... I slept for a good 2 hours :) [This would have been a problem if things were progressing quickly, but they weren't so it was fine that I was totally out of it.]

After the meds started wearing off I was in quite a bit of pain, and thankfully I was about 5cm so I could get an epidural.

Another moment of bliss.

So the epidural was around 8am and then they broke my water at 11:30-12ish.

It was at this point we thought we should document how Brigham was feeling.

Just a little excited, no?

Then we got a picture together... our last as a child-less couple.

Finally around 2:00pm I started pushing and then at 4:19pm little Andrew Jon Moore made his appearance in to this world.
It was such a surreal experience and sometimes I still can't believe it happened.



He weighed 6 lbs 2 oz and measured 19.5 inches long.

Proof that the little baby belonged to us.

Happy mommy

Happy daddy

Happy family

Brig got to give Andy his first sponge bath, and although Andy hated that he loved getting his hair washed.


After my legs had feeling I took one of the most wonderful showers of my life, and then we moved to our room in the PNU.
Our three beds


Opening his eyes

We had to stay at the hospital for 48 hours after the baby was born, so on Monday evening we got the go ahead to leave the hospital and head home!

Getting ready to go home...

Finally at home!

Grandma and Andy


The next day grandma felt it was her duty to teach little Andy how to suck his thumb. He's always trying to suck on his fists and loves having his hands up by his face.

I'm pretty much in love with this little guy and feel that love grow more and more and "moore" each day!

21 comments:

Natalie, Brent, Abbey, Kyle, Ethan, and Mariah said...

What a story! He is totally adorable!! Congratulations! And I think that is a really cute name. Keep the pictures coming, we love seeing what's going on with your family.

Sharli said...

Congrats!!! Yay for a cute, healthy little boy! And of course, we love the name! :) Way to go Brig and Chels! You've done well.

Debra Hawkins said...

What a beauitful baby boy! I am so glad Brigham made it. We were all crossing our fingers for you! Congratulations!

Brianne said...

What a cute little guy! Congrats Chelsea!!!

Darrington's said...

Congrat's!! He's so cute! Best of luck to the new family. I hope you're all doing well!

Anonymous said...

Chelsea, he is beautiful. I am so happy for you guys! Congratulations.

DeeAura said...

Congratulations, Chels! Oh, he's so CUTE! Sure love you!

Erica said...

What a loooong day. I'm so glad it seemed to go as well as possible though! And especially that Brigham made it in time. I don't know what I would do(give it time my husband has a fishing trip planned despite my request not to go) if I were in that situation. Congrats again! What a darling little boy you have!

Damaris said...

Yay! I'm so excited for you and so glad for you that Brigham made it in time. Congratulations!

Erin Davis said...

What a beautiful boy! He is so perfect. He is the luckiest little guy to have such amazing parents! We love you guys!

Unknown said...

Now you have an even MOORE perfect family! So glad Brigham made it in time and you're all home and happy. Hope baby Andy is treating you right :)

Unknown said...

OMG Yea!! I'm so glad Brigham showed up! I love those pictures! You did a really good job with capturing his first moments! Congrats big time you guys! That's so exciting that you are parents!!!

Shelley said...

So glad Brigham made it! That baby is lucky to have such awesome parents! We love you guys!

Nicole Anderson said...

I LOVE everything about this!

Burke and Emily Adams said...

SO glad Brigham made it back in time and congrats on your little man! You're a brave girl Chels.

Jake and Julie said...

He is such a cutie. I love all the pictures!

Kristina Peterson said...

I'm so glad you gave us the whole story...and glad Brig made it! You are the cutest, most positive mom. If I were to document a labor/birth...it might not have such a beautiful ring to it. haha. Congrats!

Niki said...

Chelsea! Congrats on the little guy! He's adorable! I am so excited for you guys- you will be the cutest parents!
and PS- your blog rocks! It has quite the list of "high school chums" I'm loving it!

Anonymous said...

congratulations chelsea!!!! We are so excited, he is so so cute!!!

Allyce said...

Congrats! He is so cute! Glad Brig was able to make it to his debut!

Susan said...

Yay! Congratulations! So great that Brigham got back in time. He is a cutie. We are happy for you guys! Welcome to motherhood! (: