10.28.2010

Glorious Weekends

As most of you know, I'm currently in Ohio. Brig is going to class/training for the Air Force here and I came with him for as long as I could.

The only problem is that I have to find ways to occupy myself while he is gone for the majority of the day, Mon-Fri. I have had some pretty successful and resourceful days, but I've definitely had a few where I just feel like I'm wasting away.

This is where the "glorious weekends" come in.

The past two weekends have been great! I've really enjoyed them, especially because I get to be with another human being.

The first weekend here we went to the largest corn maze in Ohio with the Shucks (some friends Brig knew from ROTC back at USU). After that we ate at the Cracker Barrel and then played Apples to Apples. It was a really bad game for me. I believe the only green card I got was when I just threw a card in randomly. Should have been playing like that the whole time. Although a super fun weekend... I didn't take any pictures.

Our second weekend here (last weekend) was even better than the first. AND I took pictures.

Friday night we played some games with more ROTC friends that are stationed out here. We had some yummy Halloween cupcakes and ice cream all whilst playing a game called "Bang." It's all in Italian, but it is about cowboys and such. I guess you could call it an Italian Western game.


Anyway, you get to be different characters and Brig was "El Gringo" one time. He of course used his Mexican accent while playing to stay in character.

I don't know how, but I ended up winning both times we played. The first time I was the Sheriff and the second time I was an outlaw. The first round we played I got really into it and had I been nearer my due date I'm sure the stress of it all would have sent me into labor.

Saturday was a special day. In the morning I went to "Super Saturday" with classes and crafts put on by the Relief Society. The bows were adorable and I couldn't help but take pictures so I can someday attempt to make them.


Then in the afternoon Brig and I headed out to Columbus to go to the temple.

After the temple we went to an Amish restaurant called, "Der Dutchman." The Shucks had recommended it so we thought we'd give it a try. However, when we got there it was a 45 minute wait. So, we found some things to occupy us for that time period.

There were signs for a petting zoo, so we went to find it, but because it was dusk... it was closed.

We fed the sheep anyway. It was super cool. It is because of this experience that I have decided never to miss an opportunity to take my kids to petting zoos.

We also played on the swing set while we waited.


After our awesome Amish meal we headed to the Shucks for the weekend and stayed until Sunday evening.

It was great.

I'm hoping for another glorious weekend this go around as well.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you are finding something fun to do on the weekends so you don't languish into nothing... That's never good.

And I have to ask... what is a signature Amish dish? I honestly have no idea what an Amish meal would consist of.

Camaree said...

Hey those are my cousins you are playing games with. I'm totally jealous, looks like you had fun.