9.23.2010

Our Sweet Zoo Date

A couple Saturday's ago Brig and I went to the Alaska Zoo.

Coincidentally, on the day we went it was "Moose Madness!" So we of course got a picture with the Moose mascot and completed our Moose trivia to win a sweet zoo pencil.


We were prepared, however, to have fun on our own even without the moose trivia. We played Zoo Bingo. We wrote down things we thought we would see at the zoo and then got to cross them off as we saw them. I think I got the first Bingo, but in the end Brig and I both had three spots left from a black-out. We called it a tie.

Other than that we had fun looking at all the animals.

I felt right at home with all the laziness and sleeping that was going on. I should have joined them.
Sleeping Polar Bear

Lazy Moose

Sleeping Porcupine
[You can see his little leg dangling off the side.]

Adorable Red Fox basking in the sunshine

Lazy Black Bear

Sleeping Tiger

Sleeping Grizzly/Brown Bear
[10 brownie points to anyone who can tell me when you consider
this species of bear a "brown bear" and when you call it a "grizzly bear."]


The lazy snow leopard just staring at everyone


And besides the lazy, sleeping animals we saw some Musk Ox.

A Camel

Alpaca

And lots more....

Our favorite exhibits of the day were the Wolverine, the Northern Goshawk, and the Wolves.

These are the reasons why:

The Wolverine was currently training for the Boston Marathon (go Uncle Matt!) and was just running laps around his cage.

The Northern Goshawk was eating a rodent. Brig got a shot of him in action.

And the Wolves were howling!

There was a group of little kids that were howling at the wolves trying to get them to start howling, and it eventually worked. All of the wolves just stopped and started howling along with the kids! It was pretty cool.

And that pretty much sums up our awesome Zoo date. We had plans to watch a little bit of Planet Earth when we got home, but ended up doing that the next day.

4 comments:

Jane Anne said...

Of course Brig has a Safari hat for your zoo date. Love it.

Shirlene said...

Looks like Duke enjoyed his first trip to the zoo!

john & Karen Carter said...

Man, I love the zoo… Moose Madness, you'd think you were up Logan Canyon! Have a great day.

john * karen

Scott Odell said...

I was happy to see the wolves... all the others seemed to be sleeping.