e·di·tion/iˈdiSHən/
| Noun: |
|
ad·di·tion/əˈdiSHən/
| Noun: |
|
We've created a new "edition" of the Moore family by a wonderful little addition. Here are the answers to the FAQs and possibly NSFAQs (not so frequently asked questions).
Name?
Meet Ezra Vaughn Moore.
We have liked the name Ezra for awhile, and we have Ezra Lewis to thank for that. He is probably one of the sweetest most awesomest boys ever and I got to teach him in Primary for awhile when we were still at USU. Ever since then, we've like the name Ezra. It's just a bonus that we'll get to tell him there is a book in the Bible called Ezra, and that there was a prophet named Ezra too.
Vaughn is Brigham's paternal grandfather. Andy's middle name is Jon after my father, so we figured we would share the love and use a name from Brigham's side of the family this time. I have been very impressed with Grandpa Vaughn. He has always shown me love from the moment I entered the family and I only met him a couple summers ago in person. I don't know many personal things about him, but I know he was a great man, just by looking at my father-in-law.
When was he born?
Little Ezra was born on September 15, 2012 at 1:43pm. He shares a birthday with my brother Chase and my cousin Lexi, both of whom were ecstatic with the birthday present I got them: A new nephew/cousin!
My due date was September 24th, so he was 9 days early.
Weight and height?
He weighed in at a whopping 7 lbs 3 oz. Andy was only 6 lbs and 9 oz. Although he was bigger than his brother at birth, Andy has him for height by half an inch. Andy was 19.5" and Ezra was 19". My boys will be short and stocky like their daddy.
How was labor & delivery?
It wasn't terrible. It was kind of nice to go into labor on my own. I didn't get that chance with Andy. They were concerned about his small size and fluid levels so they induced me 5 days early. I do not like being induced. So, compared to last time, this was much better.
On Friday the 18th I was having contractions off and on throughout the day, but nothing ever consistent. At the beginning I only knew I was having a contraction because I could feel that my uterus was tightening. As the day progressed the intensity of the contractions grew, but nothing to get too excited about. (Unless you're my sister Nicole who was extremely excited about all of my contractions.)
That evening I started having contractions about 10 min apart. We went to bed at 11:00ish and I slept for a few hours before waking up at 1:50am to use the bathroom. At that point my contractions were 5ish minutes apart. I laid in bed for a couple hours before I got up and showered. I tried to lay down again, but my contractions were much more intense.
I had Brigham give me a priesthood blessing, and then I called Labor and Delivery. At the end of the conversation the nurse said, "Well, you can come in now, or you can stay at home and take a shower and eat something, and come in later."
I had already showered, and I had already eaten a bowl of cereal, so we decided we would go ahead and go in and see how I was progressing.
While I was on the phone with labor & delivery Brig was calling the Atkinsons. We had planned ahead of time that they would take care of Andy for us. I am SO grateful for the Atkinsons. Andy loves being with them so it was nice not to have to worry about him throughout the whole process.
When we got to the hospital I was measuring a 4-5 and mostly thinned out, so they admitted me to the hospital.
The nurses and staff were just wonderful. I'm so grateful for them and the care I received.
It was really nice to have Brigham there too. I think I would have been really lonely in the room all alone. During part of the waiting process Brig read some Harry Potter to me. We're currently reading book 5, which includes the disgusting character of Professor Dolores Umbridge. Gah. I do not like her. Brig made the joke that reading about her would get me worked up and help me progress faster. The next time the nurses came in to check me they said I was ready to push... so I guess it worked. Thank you Dolores Umbridge for being totally despicable.
When I had Andy I pushed for 2 hours, but this time around after just 2 pushes the baby was already crowning. Everyone was kind of taken by surprise.
Dr. Gaida (the on-call doc) suited up and the nurses got everything ready. A short while later little Ezra was born.
![]() |
| Waving Hello! |
It was a very special experience. I think that most mothers and fathers would agree with that.
![]() |
| I was very tired... and emotional. :) Makes for a great pic. |
Oh yes. And it was heaven. I really enjoy epidurals. Makes the whole process much more endurable. Brigham made the comment that I was much more talkative afterwards. One of my fondest memories of labor with Andy was the warm blankets they put on me after I got the epidural. The memory still makes me smile.
How long was your stay at the hospital?
We were only there for one night and came home Sunday afternoon. It was kind of weird being home so soon because we had to stay a whole extra day when I had Andy. My recovery room at the PNU was much larger this time around, which was really nice.
We had a couple visitors while we were there...
Julie Atkinson, who came with Brigham and Andy Saturday night, and then 2 of our CE colonels and their wives stopped by as well.
![]() |
| In the carseat and ready to go! |
He loves him. It's so cute. He loves to give kisses and hugs to Ezra and has asked to hold him several times. The other day I had Andy on my lap while he held little Ezra and we found his eyes, nose, ears, hair, etc. It was great.
Andy came to the hospital Saturday night to meet his new little brother, and gave him kisses then, but was definitely more interested in my chocolate pudding and graham crackers at the time. He seems to be adjusting well so far. Hopefully that continues.
![]() |
| First Family Photo |
He also like to rock the baby swing, with or without Ezra in it.
Oh, and he can also climb into the baby crib and does any time he gets the chance. He loves to lay next to Ezra. And thinks it is funny when Ezra makes little squeaks.
We chatted with Nicole and Talon when we got home and here are a couple pictures they snapped for me.
| Holding Ezra for the first time. |
Currently I'm wondering how in the world am I going to find a balance between protecting Ezra from being mauled by his loving older brother and not stressing too much about it.
Best moments so far?
Seeing both of my boys together, and cuddling with Ezra for most of the day. I've really enjoyed the past 5 days so far. Yes, I'm tired. Yes, I'm still recovering. But man do I love it!
I feel like I'm looking at Andy almost 2 years ago when I look at Ezra. They are definitely brothers! I am very excited to see their relationship grow and expand over the next several months and years.
I love that in the definition of "addition" it says, "...typically in order to improve something."
Our lives have definitely been improved and I know it'll just keep getting better and better.










13 comments:
Chelsea... I love you. Thank you for sharing your lovely Ezra experiences. What an adorable little guy! Thank you for being my inspiration.
I am so happy for you! He is such a doll and I love the name Ezra!
Such a wonderful addition! Before you know it, Ezra will be big enough to defend himself and your worries will have switched from protecting Ezra to protecting Andy FROM Ezra... at least that's what has happened in our house! :) Congratulations on two beautiful boys!
Yep, they are definitely brothers! I can totally see it. :) Congrats to the Moore family!
Seriously CANNOT wait until I get to snuggle both of the boys! Miss you all SO much! And love you more!!
Congrats to your cute little family! Love the name and the pics--adorable!
Oh man, I'm not sure if it's just because I'm days away from having my second and I have pregnant hormones like crazy or what but I was bawling though most of this post! He is beautiful you guys and I'm so sooooo glad that everything went well and you are doing great!!! He is adorable and you have such an amazing family:)
Your boys are definitely 2 of a kind. What a sweet family!
Congrats Chels! He is adorable :) What a cute little family you have!
Great job - on Ezra and the article! When I had Ryan, I decided that if Kyle cried or wanted attention, he came first. If Ryan was crying, his needs were simple and he wouldn't remember that I tended to his older brother, but Kyle would. This worked out extremely well! Good luck with everything!
Congrats Chels! He's so cute and I'm glad everything went well!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! He is so precious! Andy sounds like a great brother, and I love that he likes to be "burped!" So cute! I'm glad everything went so well for you!
Congratulations!! He is adorable! And I love his name, too!
Post a Comment