Now, I know that I don't live in Chicago... but this song ("The Windy City" from Calamity Jane) has been going through my head the past couple days.
And I always picture Chelsea Davis Haynie singing this song.
But that's just a little side note to the main purpose of this post.
We had a killer wind storm that we're all still kind of recuperating from. It started Tuesday night and pretty much blew all night long knocking down trees, fences, and power lines.
At one point as we were laying in bed we heard a loud noise, and although I couldn't tell as I peered through our window I was pretty sure a tree had come down right outside our house.
Sure enough, the next morning when it was light and the wind had died down I went exploring.
The tree came down through the fence and right between our house and next door. It's probably best it came our way because otherwise it would have hit the trailer park houses on the other side of the fence.
Not only did I find the tree, but I also spotted someone's grill that had blown across the street.
We lost power during the wind storm at 10:00pm Tuesday night and didn't get it back until Thursday in the early am sometime. I was really excited when I woke up to use the restroom and saw my clock blinking.
With the power being out our main concern was our fridge and freezer, and our deep freeze in the garage that was FULL of salmon. We weren't sure how long the power was going to be out so last night we bought some ice and put some extra in the deep freeze and then put our fridge food in some coolers with the rest of the ice.
Also, because we had no electricity, it meant that my original plan for dinner was a no-go. I thought it was a great opportunity to try out some MRE's since that is what we have stashed in our 72 hour kits.
It was such a ... wonderful experience. I had pork rib, and Brig and Andy shared a delicious looking veggie burger. :)
Andy was actually all over it. He ate like a champ and kept asking for more of the mango peach applesauce and chocolate energy bar they got in their bag.
I'm glad that I now have a better perspective of what Brig is eating when he goes to trainings and eats MRE's for every meal.
A lot of stores were closed down yesterday as well due to the power outage, and a lot of stop lights were out so the police were manning the busy intersections.
I saw a couple that were still not working today, but most have gotten back up and running.
However, there are still fences and trees everywhere. It'll probably take a while for everything to get cleaned up. I heard that they were chopping up all the trees and taking them to the Anchorage Baptist Temple to giveaway as firewood. Too bad we don't have need for any of that!
Andy and I went to the park today to burn off some excess energy before nap time and saw a couple tree falls there too.
It's so crazy how something that big can be uprooted in a wind storm. I guess that is why it is so important to make sure your roots go deep!








No comments:
Post a Comment