7.17.2010

An A-moose-ing Weekend

So, many things here in Anchorage have "moose" stuck in it instead of what would typically be there. So far I think our favorite was a High School Moosical shirt in Target. It was really quite funny, but no pics. Sorry.

Chels has been gone for two days, so I have had to find things to do in order to stay out of trouble. Yesterday (Friday), I hiked Flattop. It is the most popular trail in Alaska and there was a lot of people on it. It is a 3.5 mi loop that gains 1,500+ ft. It has some tremendous views.




Today (Saturday), I finished the Coastal Trail which I picked up at a place called, "Point Woronzof." As soon as I started on the trail I smelled something familiar and very hard to mistake. It was a waste water treatment plant. Since I am an Environmental Engineer I have toured a few in my day and will probably tour many more. Either way I picked up that scent in the air and peddled fast to leave it behind (no pun intended).

I made it to Kincaid Park and had fun biking around for a little. Though on the first trail I started on I encountered a rather large mobile obstacle on the trail. The picture of the bush below actual conceals the cow moose that went into it and then started to make a straight line for me. I am not sure if it was curious about me or if it didn't like me, but it grunted once and started tromping toward me, so I decided rather than waiting to see if it went another way I peddled back down the trail.



Being slightly on edge after the moose that was potentially coming right for me I peddled around on a few more trails as I made my way back. And then you guessed it, I saw another moose, though this one was a complacent bull. Content with just eating the grass only 20 ft or so off the trail.



Later I went down the Seward Highway for a little ways to a parking area I had seen before. I didn't know what it was before, but now do. It is a parking area for about four hikes that start/end at that point. Here are some pics of things I saw there.


I think so far my favorite hike I have been on is the Hand Tram Trail. But, when Chels left, she took the pics with her. Therefore, she will be the one reporting on it and showing you the pics. It was really fun! BTW, Chels I Love You!

2 comments:

Janalee said...

Okay... I am probably the last person to see (notice) the baby counter. Which of course I am sad about! I thought you would have made more of an announcement than that! But I will quickly get over my sadness and be EXTREMELY excited for you guys! congrats!

Shannon said...

Yup. Just commenting on the baby counter also. Congrats. Thats is so excited. Hope you enjoying being in the "real" Air Force.