1.24.2010

The Race of All Races

Today is my brother-in-law Jason's birthday. I figured today would be better than any other day to blog about his crazy adventure this fall with my father-in-law and the Bear 100.

The Bear 100 is a 100 mile race through the Wasatch and Bear River Range. The race begins in Logan at 6:00am, and follows a course through the mountains all the way to Fish Haven, ID. The racers have 36 hours to finish the race.

Around 150 people signed up for this race this year, and about 50 never actually finished or started. All along the way there are aid stations set up about every 10 miles or so filled with supplies and treats for all the racers.

The winner of the race finished in 18 hours and 43 minutes, a new course record. Click here if you want to read more about this crazy race.


Before the race picture of Jason and Pappa Wayne

Here are all the crazy racers at the start line. Jason looks way too excited for 6:00 in the morning.


We were at the Richards Hollow aid station, which was 22.3 miles into the race. We were #3 I think.

Most of the family that lives in UT made an appearance at the aid station to help and to cheer on our own racers.

Momma Cheryl, Shan, and Charity were manning the table. I was getting the check-in times for all the racers when they made it to our station.

Here comes Jason and Poppa Wayne into our aid station. They both did so amazing, but unfortunately weren't able to finish the race due to late hour darkness and sore knees.

Poppa Wayne made it about 60 miles, but stopped because he didn't have anyone to hike with through the darkness to the next aid station. (He took a nap, and Jason kept going).

Jason made it about 70 miles, but he stopped because his knee kept collapsing on him due to over use.

Well, there you have it.

Happy Birthday Jason! And may many more crazy adventures be before us.

6 comments:

Christine and Curtis Snelgrove said...

Hey Chelsea the button on your blog did not work because it does not go to the right page, try putting it on your page again.

Christine and Curtis Snelgrove said...

Chelsea I think I may have fixed the adoption blog so that it goes to the right website but i am not sure so I was wondering if you would try puttin it on your blog again with the ajusted html script and let me know if it works and goes to the correct website.

Moore Family said...

What a nice tribute to Jason on his birthday. Thank you so much. Thanks for the phone call too. We were sad we missed it, we were still at church. Love you!

Anonymous said...

That is nuts! Running a marathon is nothing compared! I think they are so so so awesome for even thinking about it then going as far as they did. I can't even imagine how hard that is on a body! Give them my kudos!

Lexy said...

I had no idea Wayne was your father in Law. He is such a nice guy and a talker! Dave DJ's the BATC fashion shows and we always run into him there. He was telling me how he has all red heads. That is so funny! Samll world

Scott Odell said...

Whoa whoa whoa... do you mean a running race? Wow!